Sunday, June 5, 2011

Sautéed Chard with Garlic

Darn. I still forgot to take photos. Maybe next time?

I’d never tried chard before. I was a bit nervous, because I’ve heard a lot of people say they don’t like chard. But I was still excited to give it a try, because my friend Missy and her kids really like it.

Here’s what Steve did:

Ingredients:
Chard
Olive oil
Fresh-pressed garlic (a clove or more)
Cayenne pepper
Coarse salt
Dill or another herb (optional)

Trim about an inch off of the stems and compost the ends. Separate the stems from the greens. Slice the stems thinly. Tear or chop the greens coarsely. Put a little olive oil in a skillet. Add garlic while skillet is still cold, and sauté over medium heat until slightly brown. Add cayenne and sliced chard stems and cook for 1 minute. Stir in chard greens and cook for another couple minutes until tender. Sprinkle with salt and dill or another herb if desired (I didn't remember to do so).

Comments:
This was quite good. The stems added some nice crunch, and the garlic was a tasty addition. We liked it very well; all four of us cleaned our plates. Liam asked for more, so in the interest of encouraging that sort of behavior, Steve and I relinquished some of our portions.

2 comments:

Missy said...

Yeah! I was in your post! I'M A STAR!!!

I'm glad you like chard. We received only 4 leaves in our CSA (nevermind that they were HUGE) but I still waited until the kids went to bed-- Nathan and I hogged them all to ourselves! Bad parents... You shame me with your relinquishing of your portion. So perhaps this week we shall share. =)

Wendy said...

You are a definitely a star, Missy.

It was wrenching to give up some of the meager portion on my plate; four leaves of chard, no matter how large, do not a generous portion of sauteed chard make. Maybe this week will yield chard again--and a larger portion??