Friday, June 3, 2011

CSA, Week 1

Our first CSA share was like the most awesome grab-bag gift. I was so excited when we were on our way to pick up our share that I totally forgot to bring bread so Liam and Annika could feed the animals.

Due to the cold, wet spring we’ve had, this was apparently a “light” week by Pigman’s standards. That alarmed me a bit, because this supposedly light week filled our crisper to overflowing.

I got a little giddy reading the list taped to the front of the bag and peeking in. Here’s what we got:

Asparagus
Beets
Chard
Kohlrabi
Mustard greens
Spinach
Herb choice

For the herb choice, there was a separate box of herbs from which we could choose one. Our options were catnip, chamomile, cilantro, dill, oregano, parsley, or peppermint. We already have cilantro, oregano, parsley, and mint (mojito mint, but still) planted in our garden or growing in pots, and I don’t know what I’d do with catnip but no cat (ideas?). I was torn between chamomile and dill, but Steve really likes dill, so that’s what we chose. Maybe we’ll get chamomile next time, for tea?

I’m hoping we get kale soon, because I found a kale recipe that sounds amazing.

1 comment:

gerbmom said...

I love kale!!!
Sounds like you got a great first box...I too have been wanting to do this for a couple years, but have still hesitated for many of the same reasons as you. I will be watching your experience closely and if all goes well I may try it next year. :)