Sunday, July 10, 2011

Stir-Fried Bok Choy

This is the first time I've ever prepared bok choy. I got the recipe from the Steamy Kitchen site. I followed the recipe almost exactly, except that I omitted the sesame oil because we don't have any right now. It would be a tasty addition to the dish.


Ingredients:
Bok choy (root end trimmed off)
Neutral-flavor cooking oil (a couple tablespoons; I used canola)
Freshly pressed garlic (a couple cloves)
Freshly grated ginger (a microplane works pretty well for this)
Broth (a couple tablespoons; I made mine using organic Better Than Bouillon beef base)
Wine (a tablespoon or so; alternately, you could use another tablespoon of broth)
Coarse salt
Sesame oil

Put the cooking oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the garlic and ginger while the skillet is still cold, and cook over medium-high heat until garlic is slightly brown. Add bok choy and toss/stir quickly to coat with the oil mixture. Once coated (this should only take a few seconds), add the broth (and wine, if using), stir, and cover skillet immediately. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from skillet right away. Add salt to taste and drizzle with sesame oil, if you have sesame oil (we didn't).

Comments:
This was pretty good, but I think the next time I stir-fry bok choy, I may separate the leaves from the stems, then chop up the stems and cook them for a while before adding the leaves. It wasn't bad, and the flavor from the garlic, broth, and wine was good, but I just found the difference in level of doneness between the stems and the leaves a little jarring. The presentation wouldn't be as pretty if everything were chopped up, but I think it might taste even better.

No comments: