Monday, August 29, 2011

Thai Cucumber Salad

This morning, I went on a cucumber-recipe hunt, because at that moment the only use my brain could think of for cucumbers (the slicing variety) was salads. Now, of course, I remember their use in cucumber sandwiches. But I still needed more ideas. So I found this one--a combination I've tasted before in Thai restaurants.


Ingredients:
1 c. cucumber, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 red chili pepper, finely chopped (I used a dried arbol, because that's what I had)
1 T. vinegar
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
2 T. hot water

Put the cucumber, onion, and chili pepper in a bowl. Combine the other ingredients, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the marinade over the veggies and refrigerate, stirring periodically to make sure all the veggies get infused with the flavor of the marinade.

Comments:
Steve thought this was really good. I thought it was pretty good, which is perhaps even higher praise than Steve's comment, because I'm not typically a fan of raw onions.

No comments: