Monday, November 21, 2011

Twice-Baked Potatoes

I've always been intrigued by the idea of twice-baked potatoes. They just seem like one of those naughty, delicious comfort foods that immediately decrease artery function by 50 percent. This is the first time I've ever made them, and it's also the first time I've ever tasted them. I got the recipe from Penzeys. I won't say it's healthy, but I think it's downright artery-friendly compared to some T-B-P recipes.


Ingredients:
2 medium russet potatoes
1 T. butter
1/2 c. (or so) cheese (I used shredded white cheddar)
2 T. sour cream or Greek yogurt
Seasoning of choice, to taste (I used Northwoods Seasoning)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Poke the potatoes several times with a fork. Bake them right on the oven rack for 1 hour, then remove them from the oven (but keep the oven on). Let the potatoes cool until you can handle them without burning yourself. Cut each one in half lengthwise. Scoop out the innards, leaving just enough potato in the skins so that they keep their shape. Put the potato innards into a bowl along with the butter, and break up/stir until the butter is melted. Add the cheese, sour cream, and seasoning. Mash everything together. Then scoop the mixture back into the potato skins. Put them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (foil should work too). Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for another 5 minutes until they're pleasantly browned.

Comments:
Yum. These were a hit.

No comments: