Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sautéed Chanterelles

I was thrilled to see chanterelles in our share this month. I've heard rave reviews but have never (before now) had occasion to verify them for myself. This recipe comes from Boistfort.


Ingredients:
Butter (a tablespoon or so)
Olive oil (a tablespoon or so)
Fresh chanterelles (half a pound or so), halved or quartered depending on size
Dry white wine (a splash or two)
Coarse salt, to tast
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Chopped fresh herb of choice (I used about a tablespoon of chopped fresh thyme)
Lemon juice, to taste

Melt butter with oil in a skillet over moderately high heat. Once the foaming mixture quiets down, add the chanterelles and sauté, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes or so. Then add the salt, pepper, and wine. Cook, stirring frequently, for a few more minutes--until the wine has evaporated and the chanterelles are pleasantly tender. Transfer the chanterelles (but not the remaining butter/oil mixture) to a bowl. Add the chopped herbs and lemon juice, and toss to coat.


Comments:
Mmmmmmm. Chanterelles definitely deserve the rave reviews. And this method of preparing them definitely bears repeating.

3 comments:

Amorphous Media Art / Off The Cuff said...

They're the best mushroom ever. You might enjoy something like this, too:

http://offthecuffcooking.blogspot.com/2010/10/pasta-with-chanterelle-cream-sauce.html

Missy said...

I made our chanterelles last night after the kids went to bed. I used a hybrid of your recipes and Jeanettes-- I can't turn down a good pasta & cream sauce! Ooooo, baby! It was our first time with this delicacy and it was quite a treat! I wonder where I can go to harvest more of these little guys? YUM!

Wendy said...

Sounds delicious, Jeanette!