Friday, November 25, 2011

Garlic Mashed Parsnips

I've occasionally heard people talk about mashing parsnips like potatoes, and since I have so many parsnips on hand right now, I decided to try it. This particular recipe comes from here. I made 3 pounds' worth of mash, but I'll do what the recipe's creator did and list amounts for a 1-pound recipe instead.


Ingredients:
1 lb. parsnips, chopped into big pieces
4-6 cloves of garlic, peeled but not chopped (you could use granulated garlic instead)
1/3 c. (or so) milk
1 t. dried parsley (you could use chopped fresh parsley instead)
1 T. butter
Salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Put the parsnips in a pot and cover them generously with cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Add the garlic cloves to the boiling water, and continue boiling until the parsnips are tender. Drain. Add the milk, parsley, and butter, and mash everything together. (I, like the recipe's creator, used an immersion blender, and it worked well. You could also use a food processor or even a mixer.) Once everything is mashed up, taste the mixture and then add salt and pepper as desired.

Comments:
These are really yummy. I'm glad I made such a big batch, because we're going to enjoy the leftovers!

No comments: