Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kohlrabi Hash Browns

This is another kohlrabi recipe from Urban Harvest. I made these during our camping trip this past weekend. I mixed everything up ahead of time, put it in a container in the cooler, and then cooked it at our campsite.


Ingredients:
1 large kohlrabi bulb (or 2 small ones), peeled* and shredded
1 very small onion (or 1/2 medium onion), chopped relatively finely
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 T. bread crumbs
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground ginger
1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
2 T. olive oil
Plain yogurt (optional)**

Squeeze the shredded kohlrabi to remove as much moisture as you reasonably can. I just picked up small handfuls and squeezed them in my fist. Combine everything except the olive oil and the yogurt, and mix well. Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the kohlrabi, fry it until golden, then flip it and fry the other side until golden. You'll notice that my photos show the hash browns slightly more golden than might reasonably be called golden. We only had one spatula on our camping trip, and there was a burger-bun emergency that required immediate spatula intervention right when the hash browns needed flipping. The responsible parties will be left mercifully unnamed.


The original recipe said to drain the hash browns on paper towels. I totally forgot to do that on our camping trip, but they didn't seem overly oily. Perhaps that's because I didn't use as much oil as the original recipe called for.

*Use a paring knife, not a vegetable peeler, to peel the kohlrabi.
**The original recipe called for plain yogurt as a topping. I'll try that next time, but we didn't use it this time.

Comments:
I'm not sure how I feel about calling these hash browns. The kohlrabi is shredded and pan-fried, as with hash browns, but the end result has a much different--and even more delicious, in my opinion--flavor. This is a tasty recipe. Definitely repeatable.

The original recipe called for 2 kohlrabi bulbs, and I just assumed that meant 2 smallish ones (it usually seems to mean that), so I used one large bulb instead. While the final product was tasty, I did adjust the amounts in the ingredient list above to make the dish slightly less eggy and more hash-browny.

No comments: