Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Potato Corn Chowder

I got this recipe from Boistfort Valley Farm. Turns out they have tons of recipes on their site. I'll definitely be making use of those.


Ingredients:
3-4 ears of corn (I used 4 smallish ones)
1 1/2 quarts vegetable broth (I made mine with organic Better than Bouillon base, because it's cheaper and less wasteful to make broth that way than to buy it in Tetra-Paks or cans. I also actually used chicken base, because I don't have any vegetable base.)
2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or 2 more teaspoons of Better than Bouillon, which is what I used)
Potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes (I used 4 medium red potatoes)
1 large carrot, halved lengthwise, then sliced 1/4 inch thick
Olive oil (a tablespoon or so)
1 onion, chopped (the original recipe calls for a medium onion, but the one I used was ridiculously huge)
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used a red one, and I'm glad I did, because it added to the amazing color variety in the chowder)
Chopped flat-leaf parsley (a couple tablespoons)
1 medium bay leaf
2 cups milk (The original recipe calls for heavy cream but lists milk as an option. That's what I had on hand. As a bonus, it's slightly--or should I say "slightly"--lower in calories, if also slightly lower in rich flavor.)
1/2 t. white pepper
1/8 t. ground cayenne

Cut the corn kernels off of each cob. Then hold each cob with one end resting on a cutting board (or in a wide, shallow bowl), and scrape down the whole length of the cob with a knife to glean the "milk" from the cob. Set aside the corn kernels and "milk." Put the cobs in a stock pot along with the broth, the extra bouillon, the potatoes, and the carrots. Cover the pot and bring everything to a gentle boil. Boil, covered, for about 10 minutes (or until potatoes and carrots are fairly tender but not disintegrating), stirring occasionally. Remove the cobs and compost them. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté them until they're somewhat soft. Then add the bell pepper and continue to sauté until both the onions and bell peppers are tender. Add the onion/bell pepper mixture to the stock pot along with the corn, corn "milk," parsley, and bay leaf. Cover the pot again, turn down the heat, and allow everything to bubble very gently for a few minutes. Then stir in the milk, white pepper, and cayenne (and salt, if you think the chowder needs it). Remove the bay leaf and compost it before serving the chowder.

Comments:
Very tasty--an excellent autumn meal. I liked the hint of kick from the white pepper.

No comments: