Thursday, October 6, 2011

Cheese and Spinach Tart

I got this recipe* from Parents magazine back when I had an inexplicable several-years-long free subscription that I didn't even want. Frankly, I wasn't a big fan of the magazine, but we do like this recipe! The original recipe calls for frozen spinach, but you could use fresh. It also calls for mozzarella, but after trying it once with mozzarella, we've been making it with Emmentaler since. The sharper flavor of the Emmentaler makes for a way better finished product, in my opinion.

*Sorry; I couldn't find the recipe on the actual Parents magazine site.


Ingredients:
Olive oil (just a touch)
2 c. chopped onion
One 9-inch frozen pie shell
1 c. milk
3 eggs
1 c. Emmentaler or Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Spinach (a large-ish bunch of fresh spinach that you've chopped, or 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach that's been thawed and squeezed dry)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onions, and sauté on medium high for 10 minutes, until caramelized. Remove; let cool slightly. Meanwhile, prick the pie shell several times with a fork. Bake it for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool. Whisk together the milk, eggs, cheese, garlic powder, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Add the slightly cooled onions and the spinach. Place cooled pie shell on a foil-lined baking sheet. The baking sheet will catch any drips that bubble over the edge of the pie as it cooks. Pour the egg mixture into the pie shell. Bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Comments:
Tasty and pretty mild. I think this might be the first time Annika has ever had it, and she had seconds.

1 comment:

Emily said...

This looks so good. I agree...not a fan of the magazine but the recipe looks yummy. I'm going to have to try it. I'm going to be better about commenting too. I read all your posts and drool over your pictures : ) Miss you!