Thursday, June 9, 2011

Raw Kohlrabi in Dijon Vinaigrette

I don't think I'd ever tasted kohlrabi before today.

I like kohlrabi.

I found some steamed/sautéed kohlrabi recipes that we'll probably try down the road, but I thought we'd try a no-cook method this time.


Ingredients:
Kohlrabi (I used one large-ish bulb)
Red wine vinegar (a couple tablespoons)
Dijon mustard (a tablespoon or so)
Olive oil (about twice as much oil as vinegar)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dill or another herb (optional)

In a small glass bowl (I actually used a drinking glass), mix together the vinegar and dijon. Slowly fork-whisk in the oil until everything is well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the greens from the kohlrabi bulb and save them for another recipe. I would've done this if I had known it was an option, but I naïvely composted them instead. I'll know better next time.

Peel the kohlrabi bulb, removing the peel and the pithy outer flesh. I would highly recommend skipping the vegetable peeler; it leaves much to be desired. I ended up ditching it (after several unproductive little kohlrabi-peel shavings) in favor of a paring knife. Ahhh--much better. Compost the peelings.

Julienne the kohlrabi.

Toss with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with dill or another herb if desired, and serve.

Comments:
I am kicking myself. I keep forgetting to use the dill! We had some on our beets and beet greens, some on steak (a rare [ha!] treat in our house), and on poached eggs, but we still have a ton left. I totally could've been using it in all these recipes.

Anyway, about the kohlrabi: Steve, Liam, and I all liked it and think it was repeatable (Liam reneged on that later, but he's 4 1/2, so that's to be expected, right?). I appreciated the crunch and the slightly sweet, yet ever-so-slightly sharp flavor of the kohlrabi. And almost anything in vinegar and dijon mustard is good in my book. Annika was not so sure about the whole thing. I think she has texture issues at the moment.

No comments: